All about Black Shed
Hi, we're Paul and Helen Stickland, this is our daughter Tabitha and that's Murphy the Lurcher.
Along with our fantastic partners, Peter and Amanda Hunt, we've created a two acre flower farm, Black Shed, here at Blackmarsh Farm in Sherborne, Dorset
Welcome to Black Shed! Created in 2017 by Paul and Helen Stickland and our daughter, Tabitha, Black Shed is an ever expanding and an ambitious british flower farm, specialising in a spectacular range of beautiful cut flowers and foliage. We are passionate flower farmers and florists. From early March to November, we produce the most beautiful fresh cut flowers and sell them from the farm just outside Sherborne on the A30. A new way to buy very fresh cut flowers with no air miles from a sustainable family flower farm.
What do we grow? A huge range of fantastic flowers and foliage, old favourites and new, all grown without chemicals or pesticides in over 250 colourful and abundant flower beds. We grow using the No Dig method, which respects and encourages the microbial and mycorrhizal life in the soil, whilst encouraging the insect and wildlife on the farm. You can expect to see an amazing range of Tulips, Anemones and Ranunculus in Spring, through a summer of Dahlias, Sweet Peas, Foxgloves, Delphiniums and Larkspur, Scabious, Cornflowers and a rainbow of Snapdragons. Select and special foliage, scented Eucalyptus and our trademark grasses are guaranteed to bring life and vibrancy to bouquets and arrangements. We’re constantly introducing new varieties too, so expect some surprises! To see what we grow, month by month, visit our Fresh Flowers page.
So how does it work?
• Come and visit us! We welcome everyone! We’re right on the A30, just east of lovely Sherborne in Dorset at Blackmarsh Farm. There’s plenty of room in the car park and easy access to the gardens and shop. We share our site with The Toy Barn, which is a wonderful toy shop, with traditional and modern adventure toys, go karts and trampolines for children. Spend a lovely day in our garden, have a great cup of coffee, whilst the children have fun.
For our latest opening hours and directions, visit our Contact page
• Fresh Cut Flowers and Foliage We sell to everyone, retail and trade. Every day, throughout our long season, we pick fresh flowers from the gardens. These available to buy by the stem or made up into bouquets. To see what we grow throughout the seasons, take a look at Black Shed Fresh Flowers and keep an eye on our Instagram Feeds and Stories for the very latest.
• Beautiful Bouquets Using the pick of our field each day! From early March to late October we create unique bouquets using our seasonal flowers, cut fresh from the field. With a wonderful variety of cut flowers, grasses and foliage, changing every day throughout the changing seasons. Out of season and right through Christmas and winter, we offer a select range of flowers from other growers, combined with our scented Eucalyptus foliage. Never the same, always unique and fresh, beautiful Black Shed Bouquets
• Local Flowers We deliver our flowers and bouquets for free in Sherborne and for a small charge in the surrounding areas of Dorset and Somerset. If you live locally, you are welcome to order and collect your flowers from the farm by appointment. Use our contact form or phone to order. We offer contactless payment, by invoice or by phone. You can even come and pick your own!
• Flowers by Post Enjoy our beautifully grown, fresh, seasonal flowers in your home with our very popular flowers by post. For a very reasonable cost, our mail order flowers will grace your home with colour. Delivered overnight by a fantastic specialist courier, just hours after they've been cut from our garden, they are worlds away from tired flowers from supermarket or online florists. Our home grown cut flowers are grown without damaging chemicals, with no air miles and are packaged in responsible recycleable materials, no plastics here! Available from the Black Shed Online Shop
• Weddings We love weddings and we love being wedding florists! It’s such a happy time and we love being part of the celebrations. Your choice of flowers can really make a wedding and we're here to help you through the process. In the last three years, we have created over 150 weddings, bridal and bridesmaid’s bouquets, flower crowns, buttonholes and corsage, table centres, decorations and installations. Come and visit the farm to discuss your needs and choose your flowers, it's huge fun! Many couples have said that choosing the flowers from our farm was one of the most enjoyable parts of their wedding celebrations! Take a look at our Black Shed Wedding Flowers page, then send a query using the contact form there and we'll get back to you with all the details.
• DIY Weddings are really popular and we can supply buckets of flowers to help you create something really special. Visit us to choose your flowers as they grow in the field. We'll be here to guide you in your choices and estimate how much you'll need. When the big day nears, we pick, prepare and condition your flowers, ready for you to collect and arrange. We're very happy to mix and match too, we can make your bouquets and buttonholes and leave you to arrange and decorate your wedding venue. Have a look at our Black Shed DIY Wedding Flowers
• Funeral Flowers We’re are always honoured to be asked to provide flowers for the funerals of loved ones. Our gentle and sensitive approach at this tricky time has been appreciated by many families at this difficult time. Our traditional garden flowers are perfect for celebrating a gardener or country lover’s passing. Our portfolio of Black Shed Funeral and Memorial Flowers will help to guide you through the process.
• Dried Flowers and Grasses We adore dried and everlasting flowers and grasses and grow a huge range on our flower fields. We then dry them in our amazing grain silo HQ, worth a visit in itself. We offer these by stem or in mixed boxes. Helichrysum, Statice, Pampas, Miscanthus, Amaranthus, even dried Dahlias... Take a look at our Black Shed Dried Flowers
• Regular orders We are more than happy to quote for a weekly or monthly delivery to your home, office, hotel or restaurant, or just as a really lovely treat for a loved one.
• House Flowers We love decorating houses. Perhaps you need flowers for a special family occasion, a celebration or a surprise gift for a loved one. Perhaps you want to create a wonderful welcome in a holiday home. From a single arrangement, to a houseful, from a few bedside posies to a hundred perfect Tulips or Dahlias in single stem vases, we have a reputation for discreet, efficient and creative installations. Have a look at our House Flowers and get in touch to see what we can offer.
• Gift Vouchers A perfect present for a special person, a totally unique gift to redeem for fresh or dried flowers or a hand tied bouquet or floral arrangement. Maybe a personal guided tour of our beautiful flower farm, perhaps with an armful of colourful flowers or a beautiful bouquet to take home.
Available from the Black Shed Online Shop
• Trade, Wedding and Event Florists We love supplying retail and event florists. Since we started in 2017, we've supplied tens of thousands of stems to an amazing collection of incredibly talented florists. We provide a weekly availability and price list for florists in Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon and London. To be included on our florist's trade availability list, please get in touch with your details on our contact form.
Or get in touch to arrange a visit to see what we grow or take a look at Black Shed Fresh Flowers
• Workshops We're busy planning a wide range of fun, creative and educational workshops. With the restictions facing us in 2022, we've put these on hold but we have an exciting program of floral events ready and waiting for happier times. When the time comes, we’ll be posting details of these on our Facebook and Instagram Pages
• Open Days, Garden Parties and Special Events Hopefully in the near future!